Going on a boat vacation trip is definitely fun and exciting, but don’t let your excitement get the best of you. Whenever you go cruising or sailing on a boat, safety precautions must always be prioritized. While boat companies in Australia ensure the safety of everyone onboard, accidents do happen. This is why it is important to know the basics of safe boat-sailing, especially if you are planning to go on a fishing to catch fresh prawns, clams, fish, and other sea foods. Engaging in a boating activity entails the passengers to exercise proper caution in spite of whatever the weather condition is. It is to guarantee that everyone is free of any risk that may affect their lives whether the injury is minor or major.
The best kind of boat vacation or cruise is the one without accidents so everything related to safety must be put into consideration. As regards security, the following are the most recommended safety regulations in order to become accident-free:
- Always wear a life jacket. It is important as no one can predict when an accident will occur. Boat and boat safety experts remind everyone who wants to go on boating to carry an approved personal floatation device, or life jacket.
- Know your boat. This is one of the basics of good seamanship. If you decide to rent a boat to operate on your own, it will required good set of skills of managing a boat, navigation, anchoring, troubleshooting engine problems, safety, and boat handling.
- Boating attitude. Boating while intoxicated is a whole lot dangerous than on-land vehicle intoxication because marine environment increases impairment. Accident and/or death cases attributed to alcohol use while boating are categorized under falling overboard and capsizing.
- Undergo a boating safety course. In this manner, you will be able to learn the basics of seamanship. Besides, the knowledge you will get in such course will never be wasted as you can always apply them when engaging in other water-related activities.
- Use a kill switch lanyard. It is very helpful especially if you fall overboard or lose your balance. In such situation, the boat will automatically shut off that would most likely save your life or other passengers’.
In relation to safety, it is also important for you to determine the safety of the boat you will hire. A Vessel Safety Check (VSC) is an examination done to a boat or boat to validate the presence and condition of certain safety equipment and features. Meanwhile, here are the important things to pay attention to before having your vessel checked.
- Overall vessel condition
- Navigation rules
- Navigation lights
- Display of numbers
- Personal floatation device
- State and/or local regulations
- Pollution placard
- Visual distress signals
- Sound producing devices / bell
- Marine sanitation device
- Backfire flame control
- Fire extinguishers
In case an accident happens onboard, after sustaining an injury due to boating accident, regardless of the extent, it is important to seek medication. Even though you do not see or feel anything adverse, doctor’s confirmation is still imperative. Do not be negligent of the possibility of being injured. Looking for legal assistance must then be done after seeking medication. If you are going to catch fresh prawns or any other sea food, it is best to prioritize safety at all times.
In Australia, since companies that offer boat rental follow all safety regulations and guidelines, boating accidents are less likely to happen. However, this should not stop you from being responsible of your actions while onboard. It is important to follow all reminders and instructions related to safety in order to enjoy your trip, vacation, or party even better.