Is a painful hip stopping you from doing your chores every day? Do you know when the right time to get surgery for this is? And what are the top signs that reveal that you might need a hip joint replacement? Though there are no set rules for a hip replacement, usually the surgery is associated more with older patients. Pain and stiffness in the hip can make walking and managing daily tasks a considerable challenge. Though hip joint replacement surgery is a viable option, it shouldn’t be your first choice.
The following are three top signs that could show hip arthritis or some significant symptoms of a hip problem. It is recommended to consult a specialist and get an x-ray done to diagnose the criticality of your situation accurately.
Also Read: Keto Chicken broth
- Chronic pain in hip or groin: Intense pain in the hip or groin area is one of the critical signals showing that there could be an underlying issue with your hip joint. Here are some ways in which it could manifest:
- Pain when walking: If you have a problem with walking reasonable distances or have shooting pain while completing your daily routine activities, then it’s a clear sign that you must quickly consult a specialist. You might find yourself limping a bit, or wanting to use a support like a walking stick, or even require painkillers at times to handle the pain you feel after walking or doing activities like climbing the stairs, etc.
- Pain during exercise: Excessive soreness or pain while you exercise or after some specific activities like swimming or other physical activities like jogging could indicate hip arthritis. This type of pain is generally localised between the area of your hip and knee. In case there is a pain in the lower side of your leg towards the ankle, then the problem could be due to some other back issues.
- Pain at night: If you are unable to sleep because of the hip pain or wake up when you change position at night, then you must speak to a specialist.2. Stiffness in the hip joint:If you find it challenging to put on your shoes or socks, or have a problem in sitting for long durations or find it tough to sit and get up from a chair, then this is a common sign of a stiff hip, which might need a hip joint replacement. You could also feel that your hip joint is making a clicking or popping sound or a grinding feeling and that impairs your regular movement. In case this problem persists, then you must speak with a specialist.
2. Usual pain medications/treatment or physical therapy are helping:
Pain medication is usually helpful in relieving hip pain in most of the people. However, medication could be addictive and also have some side effects such as drowsiness and lack of appetite. Also, if your current medication is not relieving you of the pain, then it might be a sign of a bigger problem.
3. The one-leg test: If you take the support of a table or something and are still unable to stand on the leg, it indicates that there might be a problem with your hip.
Hip joint replacement surgery
Your hip joint consists of a ball seated on top of a socket just above your femur or thigh bone. In the hip joint replacement surgery, the surgeon would replace the damaged ball along with the socket with new metal and plastic materials. This artificial replacement helps your hip joint to function more frequently, and thus, your hip can easily glide and move without causing any pain.
Some points about the hip joint replacement surgery
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- A hip joint replacement doesn’t last forever. It mostly starts to loosen or have some issues in a period of 10 to 20 years. In case you get a replacement surgery while you’re young, then you might require another one in the future.
- This surgery may need some follow-up procedures in some instances.
- It takes about 6 to 12 months to recover fully from the surgery.
- Initially, you may need to walk with support like a cane or some other kind of assistance.
- You’ll require physical therapy to practice and learn how to move around with your new hip. You would also learn some exercises that would help your hip to heal in the right way.
- This surgery might need you to make some changes in your home. For example, you might need to get handrails installed, get a shower bench, or some other items that could help you in your recovery process.
You should find the best hip replacement surgeons in India before you decide on where to get this replacement done. The cost of this surgery could be high, so thorough research would be helpful.