The cake is a popular dessert that is prepared for various occasions and celebrations. Cakes, when they were first prepared in the old days, were very different from the ones we see today. The early cakes looked more like bread which was sweetened with honey. Dry fruits like raisins and nuts were often to the cake. In the early days, cakes were not always associated with special occasions and they were more of a daily affair. Fruitcakes and gingerbread were quite popular in Medieval Europe and these cakes could last for months.
The modern cake as we know it, developed in Europe sometime in the mid 17thcentury. This was mainly possible because of the innovation in technology as the ovens became more reliable and food molds were also manufactured. Availability of refined sugar and metal hoops which were used to give the cake a definite round shape was also increasingly used while preparing a cake. The cakes that are prepared today are nothing less than unique pieces of art. From the ingredients, flavors, icings, and toppings everything is prepared with the utmost finesse and the final cake is simply beautiful.
Also Read: Keto Chicken broth
The best cakes in Rawalpindi are the butter cakes made from sugar, flour, eggs, and creamed butter and they mainly rely on the combination of eggs and flour to properly aerate the mixture, to give it the proper texture and structure of a butter cake. Some of the most common types of cakes have been mentioned as follows:
- Pound cakes get their name from the fact that the ingredients can be measured as a matter of proportion like a pound of butter, sugar, eggs, and flour, all in the same ratio.
- Sponge cakes are slightly different because they do not contain baking soda in the cake mix. These cakes come in several varieties depending on the ingredients used to like chocolate sponge cake, sour cream sponge cake, etc.
- Genoise cake is considered a specialty of France and Italy. The unique tip of preparing this cake is that the eggs and sugar are whipped until we get a ribbony and thick texture which results in a pliable round cake that can even be rolled up.
- Chiffon cakes are a hybrid between an oil cake and a sponge cake. As such these cakes are rich in flavor apart from being light and airy. Angel food cake is considered to be the lightest cake as it is made only by beating egg whites and contains no added fat. These cakes have to be cooled upside down to maintain its fluffy and airy texture.
- Fruit cakes are essentially different from the cakes mentioned above due t the lack of frosting or icing on the cake. These cakes are definitely the healthiest cakes out there as they contain an assortment of dry fruits, nuts, and spices. Once they are prepared these cakes are soaked in rum or brandy to give it a burst of flavor which is certainly delicious.
You can send cakes to Rawalpindi online as well due to the availability of doorstep deliveries and surprise your loved ones with a delicious cake.