Prevention against infections is crucial. It is probably one big issue about which medical professionals in various healthcare settings are concerned. Statistically, bloodstream infection is the cause of death in over 50 patients in hospitals in the US every day. However, this infection is mostly preventable. To prevent infections related to intravascular catheters, the CDC advises using the dressings impregnated with chlorhexidine. These dressings are readily available on medical online stores, and you can get them by ordering through websites.
BioPatch dressing is one of the best ways to prevent infections. Several home healthcare settings and hospitals opt for BioPatch dressing for eliminating the risk of infections. Its effectiveness makes BioPatch the most chosen aid for dressing. It minimizes the risk of skin colonization, catheter-related, other infections, etc. The BioPatch with CHG gives an antifungal and antimicrobial dressing and provides safety against the potential risk of infections. It would be a smart decision to buy such medical equipment online and use BioPatch dressing on your patients.
BioPatch comes with some fantastic beneficial features. The BioPatch is capable of inhibiting bacteria’s growth; this leads to prevention against potent infections and, thus, ensures patient safety. It is a premium quality dressing, and its absorbing capacity is almost eight times in liquid, compared to its weight.
It is essential to be careful while using a BioPatch dressing. You must consider certain dos and don’ts to be followed each time you apply a BioPatch. Take a look at some of the crucial points regarding the same:-
The Dos of BioPatch Application:
The followings procedure must be followed while applying the BioPatch dressing:-
- First, the preparation of the insertion site is essential before applying BioPatch dressing.
- Cleaning and drying of the location thoroughly is the next step.
- Now, carefully put the BioPatch dressing on the patient’s insertion site, such that the slit should be near/ underneath the catheter of the patient.
- The slit must face towards the catheter.
- Ensure that while applying, the dressing is about 1″ away from the insertion site.
- Keep the sides of dressing together for significant results.
- Always put the adhesive side downwards while putting on the BioPatch dressing. The printed portion must be placed on the upper side so that the dressing’s removal is easy.
- Normal saline should be used to remove the BioPatch if it is stuck to the patient’s skin.
- Ensure proper alignment of the catheter with a slit in Biopatch dressing. The sides of dressing must be intact.
- Ensure that this dressing is covered with an added bioclusive dressing, after proper application of the BioPatch dressing. Writing of time, as well as the date on this, is essential.
The BioPatch dressing is usually effective up to a week after application; it must remain dry and adequately secured for this. However, it is recommended to keep checking the dressing every day to ensure that it is dry and tightly intact.
BioPatch dressing is a revolutionary product in the healthcare sector. If appropriately applied, this dressing is highly useful for preventing various bacterial infections, microflora, etc. Patients are often at a high risk of getting infected with the germs and other harmful organisms, which may be venturing on their skin, posing a potential danger.
The Don’ts of BioPatch Application:
Inappropriate usage of BioPatch dressing may reverse the intended effect. Improperly applying this dressing will make it ineffective. The many benefits of BioPatch dressing like antifungal and anti-microbial can’t be accessed without the dressing’s correct use. It would be best if you abstained from the following while using the BioPatch dressing:-
- You must ensure a dry surface before applying BioPatch dressing. Even if the application site may be slightly wet, the adhesive will not work correctly and leave the skin without completely sealing the site.
- For maximum effectiveness of BioPatch dressing, it is required that the skin contact is 360°, surrounding the catheter.
- The catheter should not be very near to the entrance point.
- There must be ample space provided for BioPatch dressing to achieve adequate skin antisepsis while changing the dressing.
- Abstain from directly puttingBioPatch dressing on the catheter.
- Prevent any spacing between the skin and BioPatch for its effectiveness.
- It is essential to place the BioPatch such that the side with white foam is downside towards the skin, while the printed side should be facing upside.
- The foam is anti-microbial and hence, should be touching the skin. In case you find that the foam is placed inappropriately facing you, reverse it immediately.
- Make sure that the infected wound is not directly in contact with the BioPatch dressing.
- The BioPatch dressing must not be applied as an alternative to the treatment for percutaneous infections.
The science behind the working of BioPatch?
The BioPatch dressing is a foam disc made of polyurethane and contains CHG( chlorhexidine gluconate). This dressing is useful to prevent a variety of bacterial infections from gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria.
BioPatch gives an adequate dose of chlorhexidine gluconate to the patients near the insertion site. It works effectively for a week if a dry and secured dressing is maintained. The circular foam disc ensures continuous release of CHG while keeping the insertion site dry and clean. An estimate of 69% of infections of the central line is reduced by using BioPatch dressing. It is crucial to prevent such infections and invest in quality dressing aids; for this, you can buy BioPatch dressing and other medical equipment online to ensure patient’s safety and save some money on your purchase.
A patient’s skin is vulnerable to bacterial colonization after the antiseptic treatment. Using BioPatch dressing reduces the risk of such bacterial growth, causing infections. BioPatch dressing works uniquely, it releases anti-fungal and anti-microbial CHG slowly from the white dressing foam.
1) Is BioPatch safe to be used for children & immature infants?
Not at all. Refrain from applying BioPatch on children/infants. Children and infants have susceptible skin and are prone to hypersensitivity issues. Premature infants develop hypersensitive reactions and skin necrosis after the usage of this dressing on them. It is not recommended to be used for children below the age of 16; it is not yet established that this BioPatch dressing is safe and effective for children of the age, as mentioned earlier.
2) When must I make the use of BioPatch dressing while accessing ports?
It is not recommended to use BioPatch dressing for infusions, which are short-termed. It is advised to use a BioPatch microbial dressing only when the patient has to access his port for a period extending beyond a whole day.
3) Should I use a needle of usual length to access any port as I generally use, when applying a BioPatch?
It is recommended to use a longer needle as a BioPatch dressing may affect the needle length that a patient usually needs. It will help if you always used a lengthier needle as a step of caution if the ports are more in-depth than generally required by a patient.
4) May I apply BioPatch dressing if in case, a patient is sensitive towards swabs of chlorhexidine and shows skin sensitivity towards it?
Don’t. The BioPatch has foam that is impregnated with chlorhexidine. This will lead to adverse reactions to patients with chlorhexidine sensitivity.
5) Is the use of BioPatch not recommendable in any CVCs or medical situations?
Yes. The use of BioPatch is inappropriate in three situations.
The first one is related to the use of BioPatch dressing with tunneled catheters. Manufacturers do not prohibit BioPatch with tunneled catheters; however, it is determined by Renal Service that this dressing must not be applied with dialysis, tunneled catheters. Although, if the dressing is required, BioPatch can be used with some dialysis catheters or some tunneled lines. It is restricted to use on infants below two months of age or with premature infants. The BioPatch dressing is avoided to be used on severe burns, wounds, etc., and in such cases, a doctor would be required to use his clinical judgment for treatment.
Purchasing BioPatch Dressing:
BioPatch is a fantastic healthcare product and has proved to be an obvious choice of professionals for dressing. It is a CHG impregnated dressing. You can buy BioPatch dressing for your workplace. It is to be used in pharmacies, hospitals, clinics, etc. Many professionals are nowadays opting websites for purchasing medical equipment from medical online stores. This ensures quality products and certified equipment. Additionally, you can save a lot of money while purchasing medical products from online web portals. You can also avail deals and discounts offered by online websites from time to time.