SQL is an acronym for the Structured Query Language. Is there any need for SQL certification if you work with SQL and databases? SQL is not the database; instead, it is a language used for handling data in the relational database management system (RDBMS). Several relational databases, like MySQL, Oracle, MongoDB, SQL Server, etc., use the structured query language (SQL) to insert, retrieve, delete, or update the data present in the database.
The relational database consists of multiple data items having relationships between them. These data items are arranged in rows and columns. Rows in the relational database are called tuples, and columns are referred to as attributes. SQL is a pillar of many systems. But, companies issue various SQL certification courses depending on their standards. In a survey, 48% of employees with SQL certified have experienced the pay rise. Therefore, if you are looking for job opportunities in databases administration, analysis, or database development, you should possess the SQL certification.
SQL certifications are not as cutting-edge or advanced as cloud computing and AI certifications. But, professionals with high-grade SQL knowledge are always in demand in the plethora of database and SQL jobs. Several SQL courses certifications are available today in the market. Certifications will still help you if you desire to have a promotion or switch a job, as they add professional integrity and hands-on experience to your resume.
Below are some top SQL courses.
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA): Database Fundamentals SQL Certification
The Database Fundamentals Certification is an entry-level SQL course. If you are new to the relational database, this course is the best option. It will help you understand all SQL and database fundamentals concepts through central tasks in the Microsoft SQL Server. This certification has five modules.
Aspirants desiring to possess this certification should have basic IT knowledge. They have to appear for Exam 98-364: Database Fundamentals to acquire the certification. This exam is scheduled in various languages. The Database Fundamentals SQL Certification cost depends upon the country in which aspirants will take the exam.
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA): SQL 2016 Database Administration Certification
The SQL 2016 Database Administration Certification is an associate-level course. This certification involves two different courses:
- Administering a SQL Database Infrastructure: This course involves 15 modules
- Provisioning SQL Database: It consists of ten modules
Any individual having the SQL 2016 Database Administration Certification has capabilities of configuring, installing, maintaining, and provisioning the database. If you wish to have the position of database architect, infrastructure specialist, or development lead and have hands-on working experience with databases, this certification is exceptionally beneficial.
If you don’t have any working experience with databases, you can first get the above course, MTA, certified. Aspirants pursuing the Database Administration Certification must have:
- Detailed knowledge of Microsoft Windows and its functionalities
- Understanding of relational databases
- Working experience with Transact-SQL
- Experience with database design
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA): SQL 2016 Database Development Certification
The SQL 2016 Database Development Certification is also an associate-level course, including two different sub-courses:
- Querying Data with Transact-SQL, consisting of 18 modules
- Developing SQL Databases, having 18 modules
Professionals with the Database Development Certification develop high-grade skills of working with on-premises and cloud-based databases. If you pass this certification exam, you are suitable for the mid-level job role in the database development companies.
Aspirants pursuing this certification must possess:
- Detailed knowledge of Microsoft Windows and its functionalities.
- Experience in working with Transact-SQL
- Working experience in relational databases.
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA): SQL 2016 Business Intelligence Development Certification
Another associate-level database certification is Database Development Certification. Aspirants wishing to become a BI developer can take this certification course to seek that position. It involves two sub-courses:
- Implementing a SQL Data Warehouse, consisting of 14 modules.
- Developing SQL Data Modules, having nine modules.
The prerequisites for applicants pursuing this certification are the same as that of the Database Administration Certification. People with Business Intelligence Development Certification possess skills, like a data warehouse, loading, extracting, and transforming data. Additionally, professionals have a detailed understanding of OLAP cubes and tabular and multidimensional data models used for BI solutions.
For professionals looking for a job role in the database or SQL, the above SQL certification course list is best fitted. These certifications are beneficial to add to your resume and get high-grade job opportunities.