Corneal transplant is done when the cornea is infected, scarred or damaged. With the help of a donor corneal tissue, a trained ophthalmologist who specializes in transplant operation will conduct the treatment.
The first most important step is to find a cornea specialist in India for this treatment. You can rely on reputed eye hospitals as they have experienced doctors and the latest technologies for surgical treatments.
But before you consult an eye surgeon for corneal transplant, here are the basic and most important facts to understand.
Why Is a Corneal Transplant Needed?
The major reasons to undergo corneal transplant are as follows:
- Infection and inflammation for a long time may lead to scarring in the cornea. This again leads to a weak vision which is why you may need a corneal transplant. But only a severe eye infection can cause scarring. And not every patient requires a transplant.
- The cornea may become thin with time. It also bulges out and the shape starts changing. This condition is known as the keratoconus and it can be only treated by a corneal transplant.
- Fuch’s Dystrophy is a condition in which the endothelial layer of the cornea dies. This is a chronic condition that needs an immediate transplant of the cornea.
Also Read: Keto Broth
During Corneal Transplant
Patients who undergo corneal transplants are given eye drops and some medicines that help them to feel relaxed. The eye drops given to numb the eye. Most of the patients are awake during the transplant operation as doctors administer local anesthesia. But general anesthesia is also given in some cases.
During the procedure, the doctor will cut the diseased or damaged cornea entirely or partly as per the requirement. Precise and advanced surgical tools are used for the operation. Then the donor cornea is placed after sizing it to fit the opening made in the eye.
But the operation depends on the availability of the donor cornea. If a donor is not available, the artificial cornea is also used.
The operation is pain-free and patients do not report any pain or severe discomfort during the process. The patient’s eye will be kept in place with the help of a certain instrument so that the eyes do not blink frequently.
Type Of Corneal Transplant
The ophthalmologist will consider all the medical reports of the patient and will also check the health of the donor cornea tissue. The transplant is done as per the eye condition. Not every patient has a similar corneal condition. Some may require partial removal of the diseased cornea and some may need a complete transplant.
Some of the common transplant operations are as follows:
- The surgeon may remove a circular part of the cornea and replace it with a matching portion from the donor cornea.
- The surgeon may cut a small layer of the cornea and add donor tissue in its place.
- The surgeon may remove the inner thin layer of the cornea and replace it with the donor corneal tissue. An air bubble is also used that pushes the new cornea cell in the proper place.
Precaution After Corneal Transplant
Some of the precautions that one must take after corneal transplant to avoid risk and any complication are as follows:
- Use the medications as prescribed by the doctor.
- Do not rub your eyes or use any cosmetic makeup.
- Do not swim for some time. Take the doctor’s advice about swimming.
- The eyedrops must be used by the doctor to keep infection at bay.
- Always use protective eyewear or sunglasses when you go out. The eye must be protected from smoke, dust and sun rays for at least a week.
In case of any queries or doubts, always consult your surgeon and follow the instructions your doctor suggested.