Hand sanitizer plays a vital role in the modern unhealthy, unhygienic atmosphere, especially in times of the deadly coronavirus. Washing your hands first with soap and water makes you germ-free and healthy. Even in the absence of soap and water, you can sanitize your hands with a sanitizer for optimal personal hygiene. Doctors also use it in hospitals after surgery or any such activity.
Hand sanitizers have two variants, alcohol-based and alcohol-free. Here are the prominent factors that will help you choose between the two types.
Also Read: Beef Bone Broth Powder
Alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- These types of sanitizers contain 60-65% alcohol and are the best among all types. They are efficient in killing 99.9% of germs.
- Many studies have indicated that hand sanitizers that have a high concentration of alcohol are more effective than those with low or no alcohol concentration.
- Pocket-sized alcohol-based hand sanitizers are portable and can be used anywhere easily. Therefore, they are ideal for use while traveling.
- It has also been found that alcohol-based sanitizers reduce the chances of flu-like contagious diseases and infections.
- It has also been seen that alcohol-based sanitizers can cause the skin to dry. In such an event, you can go for an alcohol-based sanitizer that is enriched with moisturizers. You can find and shop hand sanitizers online that suit your needs.
Apart from alcohol-based hand sanitizers, there are several alcohol-free variants available in the market.
Alcohol-free hand sanitizer
- Many prominent kinds of research have proved that alcohol-free hand sanitizers aren’t as effective as their alcohol-based counterparts. They are unable to kill as many types of germs, bacteria, and viruses.
- Alcohol-free sanitizers have quaternary ammonium compounds in place of alcohol that reduces microorganisms. Alcohol is more effective than these in killing germs.
- This type of hand sanitizers don’t dry out your hands but instead create a little foam after rubbing hands.
- They don’t have any fragrance. Most of these sanitizers available in the market are simply water-based foam.
- The majority of alcohol-free hand sanitizers contain 0.1% concentration of Benzalkonium. The rest of the solution comprises mostly water and skin conditioners with a small amount of vitamin E to moisturize the skin.
- Researches show that these solutions are gentler on the skin than alcohol-based ones. There are fewer chances of fire hazards, and also, they don’t damage surfaces.
Personal hygiene and cleanliness are as vital as other habits. Hand hygiene is a prominent part of personal hygiene and shouldn’t be taken lightly. Sanitizers are a big help for this. They are also easy to obtain. You can shop hand sanitizers online or in the market. Choosing a certain kind of hand sanitizer is a matter of personal preference. But, one should always keep using it regularly to stay safe from germs and deadly viruses.