Bona fide marriage affidavit and license application


In U.S, you must obtain a marriage license in order to get married. This license is valid for three months from the date of issue. In order to get married in U.S, you must first obtain a marriage license. Having a marriage license does not mean you are married; it means that you are allowed to get married. This license is valid for three months from the date of issue.

Wedding ceremony

  • You can have a religious or civil ceremony.
  • The religious ceremony can be performed by a religious representative of your choice, who must be registered with the U.S Vital Statistics Office.
  • A justice of the peace or a judge can celebrate a civil marriage if he is registered with the Civil Status Office.
  • In both cases, two witnesses who are at least 16 years old must be present.


Marriage certificate

At the time of the ceremony, the member of the clergy, religious representative, justice of the peace or judge will give you a “souvenir” certificate which does not constitute legal proof of marriage.

Once the marriage is registered, you can apply for an official marriage certificate, which is legal proof of the marriage.

Getting married outside of U.S

If you are planning to get married outside of U.S, you should check with the province, territory or country where the wedding ceremony is to take place about licensing and registration requirements.

The Civil Status Office is currently experiencing processing delays. Your request may take longer to process than usual.


You can get married in U.S if you are 19 years of age or older and are not currently married. You must get a signed consent form if affidavit you are 17 or 18 years old. You cannot get married if you are 16 or under. 

Each of the future spouses must complete the marriage license application and the. The bona fide marriage affidavit sample must be signed in the presence of an authorized representative. If both parties are not available to apply in person, contact the Vital Statistics Office. You can apply for a U.S marriage license to get married in the province even if you do not live there.


  • Submitting a request
  • Visit an Access U.S center or speak to the Assistant Marriage Licensor in your area.
  • Fill out the request form.
  • Refer to the application form for more details on the required supporting documents.
  • Attach payment to your request.

Submit the completed application, supporting documents, and payment to the Deputy Marriage License Issuer. The Assistant Marriage License Issuer will issue the Marriage License to you. Give the marriage license to the member of the clergy, religious representative, justice of the peace or judge before the wedding ceremony

Processing of the request

You should get the license right away. It will take longer if more information is requested or if the application is not fully completed.

  • Cost
  • Activity Fresh
  • Licence $ 132.70
  • See the rights associated with certificates, licenses and services from the Vital Statistics Office.
  • Payment options
  • Visa, MasterCard, American Express, debit card, check, money order, cash. Checks and money orders should be made payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on how you apply.


Before starting

Make sure you have the following:

  • signed identity document issued by the government and proof of age for each of the future spouses;
  • proof of divorce if one of the future spouses is divorced (divorce certificate or irrevocable judgment), as well as an affidavit;
  • proof of death if one of the future spouses is widowed;
  • written consent of parents or guardians, if applicable (obtain the required form from the deputy issuing authority)
  • Related information
  • Request for marriage certificate
  • Registration of marriage
  • Find an Assistant Marriage Licensor