There are a few factors to consider before installing artificial grass which is also known as a synthetic lawn.
The advantages of artificial turf installation:
- It needs low maintenance.
- It is pet-friendly.
- It does not create any allergy issues.
- It is versatile and therefore can be used for a large variety of application such as landscaping, rooms, walls and even ceilings.
It is the realistic look that these artificial turfs provide that has made it so popular. You get different types of fibers that resemble dead particles. When you use these turfs for landscaping projects, you can easily curve it according to the shape of your garden, small or big.
Also Read: Benefits of Bone Broth
- The best part of it is that it will look lush green even in those parts of your garden where the sun does not reach. You can give your garden a better look if you pair this with small pebbles and stepping stones.
- Another good thing about these turfs is that you can have a garden space in your modern room where space is limited.
Finally, the most significant advantage of artificial turf installation is that it will meet your specific needs and will stay green all year round without requiring any mowing, fertilizing or watering.
The maintenance factors:
Apart from the eco-friendly aspect of these synthetic lawns, the best part is that it needs very little maintenance. However, there are a few specific factors that you should keep in mind during artificial turf installation.
When it comes to the maintenance aspect, you must know that requiring less maintenance as compared to natural grass does not mean it needs no maintenance. From time to the time it will require the following:
- Additional infill
- Chemical disinfectants
- Irrigation on hot days
- Spraying to reduce doors and static cling and doors
- Proper drainage
- Timely repair and maintenance
- Removing debris accumulating on it and
- Erasing and repainting the temporary lines, if any.
There are also a few other concerns regarding these artificial turfs. If it is used on a playground, injuries and fatigue can be a concern. This is due to the additional surface hardness. It is for this reason that it is found in a survey that:
- 73% of the players prefers natural turf grass on the field.
- 18% of the players prefer artificial turf.
- 9% of the players were indifferent.
Cost is another factor to consider before artificial turf installation. You will need to replace it every 8 to 10 years. The ground-up rubber material will need special disposal at the time of replacement adding to the cost.
Though there are lots of benefits of artificial turf installation there are very few researches on the maintenance, monitoring, and effectiveness of these. It is found that if it is maintained properly over the years then it will show very little degradation as the process will be slowed down significantly.
In addition to that, the life of artificial turf can be increased by contaminant concentration. With a high rainfall infiltration rate there can be more accumulation of contamination under the surface within a couple of years after artificial turf installation. In order to remove that it will need:
- Regular power-sweeping.
- Reducing the compaction of infill to reduce hardness and increase ball-roll.
- Preventing the fibers from bending.
- Brushing to increase fiber resilience.
- Regular de-compaction to increase ball rebound and shock absorbency.
Your frequency of maintenance as well as the process will vary according to the field data. However, ignoring it completely will surely reduce its functionality. The life expectancy will also depend on the weather conditions and location, of which the manufacturers have no control.