The roof on top of your head makes the house secure, cozy and liveable. While most homeowners focus on decorating the walls, it’s the roof that upholds the structural integrity of the whole house. Without us knowing, the roof also adds to the aesthetics of the house. If the roof is compromised, then you are putting your family and yourself at grave risk. Opting for roof repairs will help you stay safe but that is not the only reason why you should keep a lookout for any damages in your roof.
How Do Roof Repairs Help?
We often have the habit of neglecting our chores until it’s too late. The same happens with roof repairs. Unless we see the roof coming apart, we do not get on our feet. The damage that the roof undergoes by then becomes unsalvageable. The only option that we can fall back on is roof replacing. The life span of a roof is about 20 years and if you are required to replace the roof within first 10 years, you are in loss. Opting for a routine roof inspection and repairs not only saves your money but it can also help conserve energy. Here’s how:
- Along with replacement, the old roof is scraped and then dumped in landfills. If everyone is careless about roof repairs you can just about estimate how much you are contributing to the damaging of the ecosystem.
- With repairing the roof, you are also reducing your carbon footprint.
- With a damaged roof, you lose on energy efficiency. When there are leaks, your air conditioning works overtime in order to keep the temperature regulated. This not only causes a dent in your budget but also causes wastage of electricity. A repaired roof prevents this loss.
Also Read: Hydrolyzed Collagen
Another reason why you should opt for repairing your roof is that a well maintained and clean roof adds to the selling point of the house.
Our Roof Repairs “Do– It– Yourself”?
While major damages like roof replacement should be left to the experts, there are a few things about roof repairs that can be done by you so that you can avoid opting for expensive restoration services. Here are a few repairs that you can conduct yourself:
- One of the easiest parts of roof repairs is the replacement of the shingles. Whether they wore away with age or were a victim of weather change, shingles can come loose and get lost.
- Once in awhile, especially after a storm, you can go on top of the roof to check and replace damaged and missing shingles. Another way to know the shingles needs replacing is if you find black sand-like particles in your gutter.
- Another part of DIY roof repair includes replacing the flashing. These flashings can be found in areas near the chimneys, skylights and basically anywhere there can be a gap.
- Leakages can also be done by you provided the damage is minor. In case you cannot pinpoint the exact location of the leak, try running water over the area. If leak is present the water will stain your ceiling.
Still, when it comes to the overall safety of the roof, turning to professionals is the best option. These few roof repairs are easy to do yet they do not guarantee a long-term solution. Sometimes, there are leaks or damages which cannot be distinguished by the amateur’s eyes like structural damages and unless those issues are addressed, commercial roofing specialists roof sags and crashes. Factors like roof sagging and holes in the roof should be repaired with the aid of professionals as soon as possible.